Testing by the Arizona Laboratory for Emerging Contaminants at University of Arizona indicates that brands like Brita, Pur, and ZeroWater can remove 49%-80% of a select few contaminants from your water. You could make the argument that “something is better than nothing” but we prefer not to have 20-100% of contaminants still in our drinking water.
Here are 5 very important points to consider when reviewing information on water filter pitchers:
1. Water filter pitchers are not subject to the same standards as full-size, standard sink filtration and whole home filtration. This means you cannot be sure whether the materials are BPA-free or phthalate-free. This also means you cannot be sure of what the filtration media is comprised of and how effectively it actually filters.
2. Water pitchers are slow to filter. It can take about 30-60 minutes for a water pitcher to completely filter the limited amount of water inside it. This means that the water will be gone quickly, and you will have to refill and wait another 30-60 minutes.
3. Water pitchers take up valuable real estate in your refrigerator.
4. Using only a water filter pitcher means that the water you use to clean your clothes, wash your dishes and hands, cook and make tea/coffee, and take showers and baths is still contaminated water. The ice from your ice maker will be made with contaminated water. The water coming through your bathroom faucets and shower heads will also be unfiltered, contaminated water. Why does that matter? Because it’s not just about drinking the contaminants – we absorb and inhale them while showering, washing our hands, etc. Click here to watch how fast chlorine absorbs into the skin.
5. The cost adds up. Purchasing a water filter pitcher is cheaper than a high quality water filter…at first. The initial expense is about $20-60 depending on the brand and size. Add that to the cost of the constant filter replacements and you could have purchased a truly protective, on-demand water filtration system instead.
The main point with a water pitcher is that it provides incomplete protection that is based only a price point and perceived ease of use. You will not have very good protection from water contamination for yourself or our family with only a water filter pitcher in your fridge.
Environmental Water Systems sink filters and whole house filtration do not have any of the issues previously mentioned, and are a hassle-free, cost-effective way to provide full protection from tap water contaminants. They are easy to use and do not require constant replacement. Our ESSENTIAL sink filtration requires a filter replacement every 12 months (1 full year).1 Our EWS Series and CWL Series whole home filtration systems require a filter replacement only once every 10 years.1
In the long run, Environmental Water Systems saves you hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in the cost of filter replacements, bottled water, and your time. Most importantly, however, is the fact that EWS sink filters and whole home filtration are designed strictly for the removal of dangerous contaminants. Instead of an advertising budget and expo booths, we put our money into research, development, and the incredible quality of our materials and American manufacturing. Your health and well-being is our responsibility, and we do not take that lightly.
1Based on your local water conditions and usage.